October news update from ServiceMaster
Written by: Adrienne B.
October is full of some wonderful events, including Thanksgiving & Halloween. This month also features Fire Prevention week, from October 2nd- 10th. In light of that, ServiceMaster would like to start off our news update with a few fire prevention tips.
5 tips for a flamelessly flawless October:
-Avoid long & loose sleeves while cooking
-Never leave lit candles unaccompanied
-Do not leave cooking unattended
-Check/install smoke alarms near EVERY bedroom
- Favor appliances with automatic shut off features
October is not only a beautiful month with the changing color of the leaves, it’s also a tasty month- gobble gobble! We hope your Thanksgiving is full of family filled fun, and your bellies are all sufficiently sophonsified.
Halloween can be either the trickiest or treatiest day of the year. Let’s review some tips for parents and for homeowners to ensure we all enjoy the treatiest Halloween this year!
Tips for parents:
- Be wary of bringing your children out with masks. Masks can obscure a child’s vision, and it is very important to keep a look out for cars, steps & storm drains.
- Aim to dress your children in light colored material, as not to camouflage them in the dark night.
- Be sure to dress your child for the weather, whether the costume’s affect will be diminished or not- safety should always come first.
Tips for homeowners:
- Use an alternative source for candles in your pumpkin, opt out for a flashlight or even a battery operated candle.
- Be cautious to remove all wet leaves & debris from walk ways to avoid falls.
- When buying your treats, be courteous and remember those children with allergies- maybe grab some stickers, yo-yo’s or silly putty.
Advisory in effect:
A blue-green algae warning has been issued for the Three mile bend off-leash dog park. Be cautious to not touch any algae blooms and avoid swimming (this goes for you and your pets).
Food Truck Wars:
Ecole Secondair Notre Dame High School will be hosting a food truck war competition to raise money and awareness for Suicide Information & Education Services. There will be six food trucks participating in the fundraiser, amongst those trucks, there will be a blend of gourmet waffles, poutine & ramen noodle tacos! Come out to enjoy some food & raise money for a good cause on October 9th from 12-1pm.
Earth Play Saturday:
Come enjoy this nature exploration for tots 5 & under at the Kerry Wood Nature Centre. The event takes place October 10th from 10:30-12pm. Admission is donation accepted, with a recommendation of $5/couple or $10/family. Phone 1-403-346-2010 for all enquires.
Fun Brain Teaser:
What kind of tea does one use when purchasing a house?
Thank you for reading, have a happy & safe October!